Fluid Thioglycollate Medium is recommended in the FDA Bacteriological Analytical Manual (BAM) and the Official
Methods of Analysis of AOAC International for the examination of food, and for determining the phenol coefficient and
sporicidal effects of disinfectants. Fluid Thioglycollate Medium is also specified for sterility checks on banked blood. It is
one of the media recommended in the USP for use in sterility testing of articles purporting to be sterile; these formulations
meet the requirements of the USP growth promotion test.
BD Difco 225650, Fluid Thioglycollate Medium, 500g. BD Difco is the world's most trusted brand of culture media.
Directions for Preparation from Dehydrated Product
1. Suspend 29.8g of the powder in 1 L of purified water:
2. Heat with frequent agitation and boil for 1 minute to
completely dissolve the powder.
3. Follow label directions specific for each medium.
4. Autoclave at 121°C for 15 minutes, or as directed on the label.
5. Store fluid thioglycollate media at 15-30°C. If more than 30% of the medium is pink prior to use, reheat once (100°C) to drive off absorbed oxygen.
6. Test samples of the finished product for performance using stable, typical control cultures.